Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can`t run 8 Gb RAM ( 4 x 2 Gb Kingston DRR2-800 ) on GA-MA785GM-US2H

I have this setup
    Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] [/COLOR](rev. 1.0) (F11 latest bios 05/17/2010)
    AMD Athlon II X2 240 @ 2800 MHz
    ATI Radeon HD 4650
    4 Gb RAM (2 x 2Gd Kingston DDR2-800 PC2-6400)
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 (6.01.7600)

tried to install 4 x 2Gd

Re: Can`t run 8 Gb RAM ( 4 x 2 Gb Kingston DRR2-800 ) on GA-MA785GM-US2H

Can you run those slots by themselves with just 4GB? If not you may have bent CPU pins, or faulty slots on your board.

For 4-8GB you are going to need to raise your NB VID voltage and set your own ram voltage, are you doing that?

Comment

I`m running 2 x 2 GB on slots 1 and 3

is the system supposed to accept one barrette in any slot and 2 barrettes in slot 2 and 4 ?

thanks

Comment

I am not sure, I really don't know AMD all that well so you may need to wait for Artdrivers to reply on this.

Your manual will show you what slots you can use for what sticks though, do you have it?

Comment

Kingston tech support sent me this reply

The only information we have is that the AMD Sempron processor does not support 800MHz memory. Only supports 533MHz and 667MHz. Other then that if you can get pairs to work in slots 1 and 3 then it could be a motherboard issue. A bios upgrade would have been the next suggestion but if you already have the latest then it's out of the question. Again if all four modules seem to work in pairs in slots 1 and 3 then it could very well be a motherboard issue. Oh and one more thing, please make sure you have an adequate power supply no less then 650 watts and that it's functioning well. If you have other devices connected to the pc, run the pc bare bones and see if the memory modules work. If they do then it's a power supply issue not generating sufficient power.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this e-mail with full email history. Thank you for using Kingston on-line technical support.

I have 450 power supply

Comment

Then it very well may be the PSU as they suggested, see if you can borrow a larger one to test before you go buy one

Comment

it`s no sense
              first each barrette only consume 2 watts @ max the CPU only 65 watts
              second when I power the system up all the fans work
              third I did run the system bare bone ( no Graphic card , no dvd drive ) and it gave me the same result

Comment

Well 450 may not be enough for the system to begin with, and the added strain of more memory on the memory controller and other parts of the board may be pushing it over the line.

I would test with a larger PSU for sure, then if the issue is the same we can start looking at other things such as memory compatibility (Is it known to be compatible with this board?), or other issues such as settings.

Comment

if we rule out the power issue for now. I went to Kingston memory configurator:

Kingston Technology Company - Kingston Memory Search - Search Results for:

they don`t offer any combination of 4 barrette of any size for this MOB dose it mean it won`t support it

in the upgrade path tab ( on the same page ) they state : Virtually any configuration up to 16GB can be reached using Kingston's 512MB, 1, 2 and 4GB modules or kits.

Comment

It may not, or at least it may not with their memory.

I would PM Artdrivers here, he is out AMD guy and should be able to best advise you on this issue

Comment

Working...
                    X